Publish Her, a female-founded and focused publisher dedicated to elevating the words, stories and writing of women, is currently seeking contractors with editing and design expertise to join our growing team. We partner with freelancers who are experienced in various areas of the publishing process (editing, design, marketing, etc.). Each part of the process is assigned to a contractor on our bench of experts, and each contractor is paid a set project fee for the work. Contractors are informed of the project fee for a particular book project up front, as well as the timeline, so you can decide if it works for you and your schedule.
Additionally, Publish Her team members share an interest in empowering and uplifting women’s voices, possess a strong, sustained attention to detail, maintain clear and consistent communication, and possess excellent time management and conscientiousness in meeting deadlines.
Current opportunities include:
Copy editing/proofreading comes after the book has been through developmental and line editing, and the pages have been laid out. The process is generally completed the old-fashioned way, by marking edits on a printed copy of the PDF version of the book.
The project rate for copy editing/proofreading is dependent on the number of words in the manuscript. As for the timeline, it is typically two to three weeks from the time you receive the print copy to when your edited document is needed back.
Some things Publish Her looks for in copy editors/proofreaders:
- Working knowledge of AP style and access to up-to-date style info (either via an AP website subscription or the most recent stylebook)
- Ability to review both the big picture throughout the book (things like style consistency, incorrect character name changes, clarity, etc.) and the little picture on any given page (i.e., typos, punctuation, grammar, syntax)
- Confidence in asking questions and leaving comments if you don’t understand something, rather than brushing it aside
As the editing team tackles developmental and line editing, the design team simultaneously creates the cover and interior of the book. The book design process is informed by the publisher, as well as a design questionnaire, which is completed by the author and includes details about preferences regarding images, typography and color.
The project rate for cover design is dependent on the level of detail and whether it requires custom or stock illustration or photography. A timeline is provided based on the project specifications.
Some things Publish Her looks for in cover designers:
- Expertise in and access to the most recent versions of publishing design tools including Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop
- A portfolio of design work specific to publishing (books, magazines, newsletters, etc.) and an understanding of current design trends
- Confidence in asking questions and making suggestions if you believe the design would benefit from it
Publishing managers are involved in publishing projects from kick-off to completion. They work directly with authors, guiding them through the publishing process and serving as the liaison to various areas within Publish Her—editing, design, production, etc. This key role is responsible for moving publishing projects forward, and ensuring all steps are complete and schedules are on track.
Publishing managers are paid a set fee for each project they manage and may have the opportunity to manage multiple projects at once. 100 percent of the fee is paid at the start of the project. The publishing timeline is typically five to 12 weeks, depending on the project.
Some things Publish Her looks for in publishing managers:
- Expertise in project management specific to creative industries (advertising, design, publishing, etc.)
- An understanding of the publishing industry and current trends
- Access to file management tools including Dropbox and Google Drive
To learn more about these opportunities, please contact Chris Olsen at email@example.com and be prepared to share examples of your work.
About Publish Her
Publish Her is a female-founded and focused publisher dedicated to elevating the words, writing and stories of women. We are passionate about amplifying the voices of women of color, women with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ+ community. We aim to make publishing an attainable, exciting and collaborative process for all. Publish Her specializes in print-on-demand books, workbooks, journals, magazines and more.